SAT JULY 13, 2019
Make a Difference
SERVE Day is an amazing opportunity to bless others and be blessed. Hundreds will go out into our communities and show the love of Christ in real and tangible ways. There will be many ways and groups to get involved with.
SERVE Project Ideas
Begin by asking your Life Group members the following questions. Hopefully, the answers will help you develop a Serve Day project that is a perfect fit for your group.
• Who in your neighborhood has a need?
• What business or organization within your sphere of influence could use a blessing?
• What serve opportunities best suit your group’s ages and abilities? (prayer, worship, teaching, physical labor, etc.)
• Host a free garage sale
• Bring free lunches to construction workers and servicemen in your area
• Hand out free gum at a local park
• Clean up a widow’s or single mom’s yard
• Give out free sunscreen at a city park
• Give out free bottled water
• Plan a “Back to School Bash” for foster care children. Have free food, games, and a backpack/school supply giveaway
• Give out free donuts and coffee at bus stop or shopping center
• Host a free car wash for the faculty
• Minor car repairs for elderly, widows and/or single mom’s
• Kids host a free kids toys and games garage sale
• Kids host a free lemonade stand
• Deliver fresh flowers to the residents
• Host a worship service at a nursing home (offer worship, devotions, prayer, and fellowship)
• Throw a “Senior Prom” complete with live music, food, and decorations
• Landscape a flower garden and sitting area for resident
• Have kids make crafts (necklaces, wooden crosses) that can be given to residents
• Distribute chips and sodas to residents & employees (check with staff on food restrictions)
• Tea Party
• Help the residents complete care packages for foster kids
• Band: Serve free drinks or snacks at their practices
• Sports teams: Serve free bottled water at their practices
• Give away free mechanical pencils or energy drinks to college students
• Host a free picnic in the quad.
• Give out free donuts and coffee on the quad
Special Needs/Youth Home
• Identify a family with a special needs child and give the family a Mom & Dad’s day out
• Adopt a group home for the day and throw a party for the residents
• Build a wheelchair ramp for handicapped
• Organize a field day for a group youth home
• Serve hot breakfast for the homeless in your community
• Do a community trash clean up
• Host a “Block Party” with free food, games, music, etc. for families
• Renovate a run-down playground or park in the area
• Do a door-to-door grocery giveaway
• Have a “Free Grass Cutting” day
• Serve free coffee, energy drinks, and snacks to staff and those waiting in the emergency room
• Give out healthy snacks to patients of chemotherapy
• Deliver small gifts to patients and families in the children’s ward (toys, care packages, etc)
• Prayer visits with patients and those in emergency room
• Take care-packages with snacks, sweets and small gift items (lotions, magazines, puzzles etc.) to families of hospitalized children.
Business/Service Organizations/Public Servicemen
• Wash windows
• Trash pick-up in parking lot
• Coral shopping carts to designated spaces
• Cook Lunch for your local police or fire station
SERVE Day Questions
What is SERVE Day?
SERVE Day is our annual outreach event that closes out our Summer Life Group Semester. It is an amazing opportunity to bless and be blessed. Hundreds go out into our communities and show the love of Christ in real and tangible ways. We encourage every Life Group to choose a serve project of their own and be the hands and feet of Jesus on SERVE Day.
SERVE Day 2018 takes place on July 14, 2018.
I want to participate in SERVE Day but I am not in a life group. How do I find a life group?
Most groups are open to new members throughout the semester. Our Life Groups Directory can help you find a group that fits your interest, location and time preference. Learn more about Life Groups at www.newheightsaz.com/life-groups.
You can also check out the SERVE Projects page where you will find a list of Life Groups that have serve projects with room for others to help. Simply find one you like and contact the leader listed.
What if I don’t have SERVE opportunity selected and my life group wants to serve?
Hopefully, you have selected something to do together, but if you are in need of an idea, you can check out the list of ideas for ways to get involved.
How do I plan a Serve Project?
Get creative! Assess people and their needs in your neighborhood and around your community. Perhaps there is a widow, single mother, or elderly person that could be assisted by painting their house, cutting grass, or cleaning up the yard. Firefighters, police officers, school resource officers, nursing home residents, assisted living homes, and local business owners are all great people to reach out to and find a way to SERVE! Check out our list of ideas and other options from local service organizations for ways to get involved.
Should I communicate to the Church which SERVE Day Serve Project our group is planning?
Yes, we definitely would like know about what your group is participating in.
Who pays the costs associated with our Life Group’s Serve Project (supplies, travel expenses, etc.)?
Each Life Group is responsible for all of the supplies and costs associated with their serve project. Spend time determining the scope, and plan work based on your group size and commitment level.
What should I bring on SERVE Day?
Plan on bringing any personal items you may need, like your SERVE Day T-shirt, sunscreen, drinking water, tennis shoes, a hat, etc., along with any items pertaining to your serve project such as rakes, gloves, lawnmowers, tarps, work tools, etc. For serve opportunities requiring physical labor, work clothes are a good idea. We recommend not wearing jewelry. Also check with your leader for what you may need.
Will the church be communicating additional details about SERVE Day?
Yes, emails will be sent to all Life Group leaders and co-leaders, and general information will be communicated here on this site. More info may be presented during Sunday services prior to SERVE Day.
What if it rains?
If you have an outside serve project, make plans to have an inclement weather option in mind. Some suggestions are to visit a nursing home, serve at a local service organization, or clean classrooms at a local school.
Will there be SERVE Projects available for those NOT in a Life Group?
Yes, there will be numerous opportunities listed on the Serve Projects page that have room for others to help out on Serve Day. Many of the Life Groups are open for you to join them on their serve project. These opportunities will be posted on the Serve Projects page. Find one that interests you and contact the leader for questions and details.